Saturday, December 31, 2011

A New Year

Its been soo long and i have soo many things I want to blog about.

I'll wrap up the health stuff first. 4.5wks ago, I got a migraine. Today I still have remenants of that migraine. Its debilitating, frustrating and depressing!!!  But I am working through it.
I have tried at least 7 prescription drugs, 4-5 natural supplements, tension repatterning, massage, exercise.....  I've had one scary adverse reaction to the medications, had an MRI, I've lost 12 pounds (yeah - the silver lining), and shed countless tears.
I don't know why I got the migraine in the first place and I sure as shit don't know why it won't go away.
Here is what I've done.  After researching, brain tumors, sinusitis - and trying a neti pot!, Epstein Barr Syndrome, MS... I found a book called, Magnesium: The Migraine Solution. My doctor recommended Magnesium and it did quickly relieve most of the pain (Hallelujah!!) but I had intense pressure still in the base of my neck, across the crown of my head and occasionally in my sinuses. After 2 wks I took a trip to the natural health store near my parents house and loaded up on the supplements the author suggests (magnesium, fish oil, feverfew, CoQ 10, and riboflavin) and drinking 64oz of water a day, I have found relief. The pressure is still there first thing in the morning but once I get the magnesium and feverfew in, it dissapates and I can function almost like a normal person!!
Its not gone, but I am back in the land of the living.

I am not a crunchy granola, tree hugging health nut, but it works.

What I've learned: Take your migraine meds at the first sign of a migraine NOT two days later. Its easier to abort a headache before it gets a hold of you, and play an active role in your own health.
Happy New Year All - Hope its Fabulous!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh God - I hear you. For real - I wait to take my meds cuz they are so expensive but they work BETTER if you take them right away. I'm taking magnesium - thanks to you. And guess what? I'm going to go gluten-free as of tomorrow to see if that's part of my problem. I've been researching it a lot and it's worth a shot. Keep me posted. I'm gonna get some feverfew!

    ReplyDelete